Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Goatwhore

Yes, I listen to a band called Goatwhore...

They are a Blackened Death Metal band from New Orleans. (I love that phrase Blackened to describe a band that aren't primarily a Black Metal band but do have some influences from it. Usually I make up dumb phrases like that to describe bands, but that one is actually used by magazines and such. It reminds me of something charred.) I first saw them open for Watain two years ago and have been a big fan ever since.

Early this month I pre-ordered their new album from Metal Blade Records, it also came with a poster, and a t-shirt with the album cover on it. I tell you that to tell you this story: I walked in to the concert venue cleverly called "In The Venue" (no joke), and walked up to the merch booth. The guy behind the counter said, "Dude, sick shirt!" I noticed that my shirt was not available to purchase from the band and that I was the only person in the place with that particular Goatwhore shirt on. That made my weird little mind very happy. As I stood watching a few bad local bands, I noticed this guy walk up and sit behind the merch booth. Was that just?.... no it couldn't... or could it? It had been two years since I'd seen them play, but I was positive that the singer of Goatwhore was sitting 5 feet away from me. A quick google search for a pic of him confirmed my suspicion. He was very gracious in taking a pic with me, and was a very cool guy. He looked at my shirt and yelled at the merch guy, "Why the hell don't we have these shirts?" The merch guy says, "The printer screwed them up." So the singer, who's name is Louis Benjamin Falgoust II, asked where I got my shirt. I told him that I pre-ordered the album (both on vinyl and CD), and that it came with it from the record company. He just smiled and said, "Right on man!" It was cool!
Louis Benjamin Falgoust II and TKA


Now the second cool part of the night: as I am standing watching the local Death Metal band Dead Vessel play, they aren't too bad by the way, the guitarist for Goatwhore comes out to ask the singer something. The singer points to me and the guitarist comes over and asked to see the shirt. So we started talking and went into the bar area of the club where it was quieter. I bought him a beer and we talked about the new album, and how I was a big fan. He was a weird guy, and was pretty awkward. But I was in awe that I had impressed to members of a band that I really enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. You have the coolest concert experiences ever! Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete